Humane Society International continues to be committed to highlighting the cruel and inhumane practices of the fur industry. Fur farms kill millions of animals, including cats and dogs, each year and there are no laws to protect them from intolerable cruelty and an inhumane death. Help stop the demand to stop the trade.
FACTS ABOUT THE FUR TRADE
- Over 50 million animals are killed annually for fur worldwide.
- Around 10 million cats and dogs were killed last year, up from 2 million in 2004.
- About 10 million wild animals are caught for fur using cruel and inhumane traps.
- Import or sale of cat and dog fur banned in Australia in 2004, but still reaches Australian stores.
- China, the world’s biggest fur exporter, has no animal welfare laws whatsoever.
- In Asia, domestic cats and dogs are kidnapped to satisfy demand for fur.
- Brutal and cruel slaughter, animals often skinned alive to preserve pelts.
- No labelling laws exist in Australia to enforce species of origin to be specified
- Cat and dog fur often mislabelled as rabbit, with no species specified at all, or even as faux fur.
- If you buy fur in Australia, it could be made from someone’s beloved pet.
- Australian retailers selling fur risk breaching the law if it contains cat or dog.
- Tests showed fur garments bought in 2011 in Australia contained highly toxic levels of carcinogenic chemical, hexavalent chromium.
- Fur from Asia found in clothing, fur trim, and even children’s toys.
To learn more about the fur industry, click here.
Shop ethically using our FUR FREE RETAILER LIST here. If you come across a fur free retailer who isn't on our the list but may be interested in being added, please give them a copy of our HSI Fur Free Retailer Pledge (206.5 kB) - ask them to sign and return it to us.
You can support the campaign yourself by clicking here and signing our Fur Free Supporter Pledge.
If you want to know What You Can Do To Help, find out here. Check out our list of Fur Free Fashion Designers here - this also acts as a useful resource for Store Buyers who are keen to show compassion in fashion!
Click here to visit our Celebrity Fur Files for the latest celebrity fur news and gossip!
You can find our List of Stores and Designers who continue to sell or use real fur here - tell them to STOP!
Click here to learn more about THE EXOTIC SKIN TRADE and the plight of the South-East Asian python.
NEW! - Click here to find out more about THE DOG MEAT TRADE and the work HSI is doing to try to stop this cruelty.
LATEST NEWS ON THE FUR TRADE
chinese farms torture live angora rabbits for fur, peta says
local designer goes fur free in national contest
is the fur trade sustainable?
harvey nichols boss quits amid fur furore: animal rights campaigners target department store's fashion director over fur-trimmed clothes
eu court rejects inuit appeal against seal fur ban
fashion icon twiggy tells fashion week to reject real fur
west hollywood fur-sale ban goes into effect
nspca warns against the sale of fake fake fur
amsterdam council makes 'moral appeal' to shopkeepers over fur
fur flies over sydney fashion festival
norway: fur farming probe welcomed
england's ceremonial mayors eschew for to support animal rights
purr trade: switzerland struggles with a black market in house-cat skins
the cruel reality of fashion's coolest coat: were peacocks plucked alive to make burberry's £22,000 trench?
real fur mislabeled and called faux fur at century 21
HSI Congratulates ceo of Melbourne fashion festival for shedding its fur - read our letter thanking them for their decision...
Norway's labour party backs fur farm phaseout
westwood, mccartney, h&m and topshop among winners of peta fashion awards
peta strikes back at bebe for allegedly lying about fur clothes
woody harrelson wants 2013 to be fur-free
china's fur sales to be strong in upcoming decade
how the fake fur boom has brought real fur back to the high street
dutch law will ban mink farming by 2024
Liam Gallagher praised for boycotting fur
is the fake fur you're buying really faux?
ASOS scoops innovation prize for animal welfare
furs stripped as chains pledge to lose the pelts (the age)
lady gaga dons fur again
world first - all australian department stores ban real fur (HSI Media release)
Myer ends sale of all fur products as tastes change (SYDNEY MORNING HERALD)
myer makes historic move and goes fur free! (HSI MEDIA RELEASE)
animal rights groups utilise 'citizen initiatives' to push finnish fur ban
LADY GAGA STEPS UP HER ECCENTRIC DRESS SENSE BY WEARING A FOX FUR SCARF IN GERMANY