Support Us

Animals cannot help themselves – they must depend on people who care to fight for them. HSI represents more than 10 million people around the world who care.

Join them.

PO Box 439 AVALON NSW 2107
(61) (2) 9973 1728
Wildlife SOS India March 2009      


March 2009
HSI supports the conservation work of Wildlife SOS, a not-for-profit organisation based in India.

This story highlights a very successful conservation effort that Wildlife SOS had with the help from the Maharashtra Forest Department. The team reunited a 2 week old leopard cub with his mother in Ottur range of Maharashtra.

The 15 day old cub was found in a sugarcane field in Dhonwar village of Ottur range, by some local villagers. They informed the Forest Department who in turn brought the cub to the Wildlife SOS run Manickdoh Leopard Rescue and Rehabilitation Centre on the same day that it was found. The cub was very healthy and from his health and age it could be assumed that he was still nursing.

The Wildlife SOS team led by Dr. Karabi investigated the case and discovered that an adult leopard has been regularly sighted by villagers in that area over the last few weeks. The team reasoned that she must be the mother, and the cub must have been born somewhere near the sugarcane field.

Dr. Karabi of Wildlife SOS. said, ' We spoke to the Forest Department and it was mutually decided to release the cub in the same place and then monitor it. Accordingly the next day, which was two days after the cub was first found, we planned and brought the cub to the original place where he was found. A monitoring team of five members which included the forest guards, the farm owner and Wildlife SOS staff was engaged to monitor the cub and we decided to release it in the evening as the mother would be more comfortable with the cover of darkness and was sure to show up looking for the cub.' 

The team left the box holding the cub open, at a distance of 30 metres away and started the wait for the mother. It did not take long as the mother showed up after 45 minutes and started grooming and nursing the cub. She rested with the cub for some time at the same spot. The team put off the lights once the mother arrived. For one hour there was no movement. So the team members put on a dim torch and saw her eyes shining in the same place. She had not moved from that place in all that time. The team then moved back and away from the monitoring location.

' After an hour around 10: 30 pm, when the team went back to check they could not spot the mother or the cub. Next morning we went to check the place once again. There we found pugmark of the mother near the box in which we had left the cub. We think the mother was waiting for the monitoring team to move away before moving the cub to another place. All in all it was a job well done by everyone around,'  said Dr Karabi of Wildlife SOS.

To find out more about HSI Project Partners, and our international project work please click here.

Web: AndreasLustig.com