take action to stop the handing over of environment powers
15th July 2013
Take Action to stop the handing over of environment powers
Once again, big business is pressuring the federal government to hand over their environmental approval powers to state governments.
Premiers in QLD, NSW and Victoria are already attacking our national parks and weakening state planning laws. It is clear that state governments cannot be trusted to protect the places and wildlife we love.
We need to let them know that we are watching and will stand up for the laws that protect our most precious places and wildlife.
Momentum is building…we need you to email the new Federal Environment Minister, the Hon Mark Butler MP, and let him know how important this issue is for you.
Meanwhile, the Coalition is already promising to set up a system whereby environmental powers are handed over should they win Government at the upcoming federal election. We therefore also need your help to tell the Leader of the Opposition, The Hon Tony Abbott MP, how important this issue is and that the Coalition Government should be focusing on protecting our most threatened places and wildlife not cutting ‘green tape’.
By making our voices heard, we can compete with big business and let both the Government and the Opposition know that we want our national environment laws protected.
With your help, earlier this year we were able to show our political leaders that the federal laws that protect the places and wildlife we all love are too precious to hand over to the states.
We need your help – together, we can stop this again.
Suggested points to include in your letters are:
- Our national environment law protects our reefs, rainforests, bushland and beaches - all places Australians love.
- Now is the time to demonstrate leadership in protecting our special places and wildlife.
- Please don’t cave into pressure from big industry and surrender federal environmental approval powers to the states.
- Big business is exaggerating the effects of our national environment law in an attempt to do away with the most basic protections granted to our most precious places and wildlife.
- This month marks the 30th anniversary of the intervention by the federal government to protect the Franklin River from being damned. Without federal powers to override the states, the Great Barrier Reef, The Daintree Rainforest and Fraser Island would have been destroyed.
- Premiers Newman, O’Farrell and Napthine are already attacking our national parks and weakening state planning laws. It is clear that state governments cannot be trusted to protect the places and wildlife we love.
- Lack of protection for the places and wildlife we all love will mean more protests and legal battles, and increasing business uncertainty.
- (For the Hon Mark Butler MP) We need you to take action to protect the places and wildlife we love by committing to amend federal environmental law by removing the provisions that allow approval powers to be given to state governments.
- (For the Hon Tony Abbott MP) We urge you to reconsider your policy of a ‘one-stop-shop’ for environmental approvals. Before proceeding with this policy we also urge you to commit to full consultation with all stakeholders, an assessment of the impact of handing over environmental powers, and further evidence from industry of the need for approval bilateral.
- It is the time to strengthen – not weaken – our national environmental law.
STOP THE PRESS!
In very welcome news, the Federal Environment Minister, The Hon Mark Butler MP, stated on 18th July that Labour has no plans to hand over environmental approval powers. Please therefore write to Minister Butler thanking him for his commitment to retain this important role, which will help protect our most threatened places and wildlife, and urge him to take the next step and remove these provisions from the EPBC Act.
Please write as soon as possible